Thursday, September 5, 2013

People as Evidence

One of my bestest friends is from Southern Africa, actually he is my brother. By the way i'm that annoying person who has like 34 best friends all over the place but I can't help it good people just come my way and rarely do I let them go! Anyways, he is finishing up his MBA in Europe and is going to be doing big things in a matter of months, I can't wait to sit back and watch that black boy fly.

He texted me the other day feeling really low. This is unlike him his spirits are usually sky high so I was concerned.  He is in a space where he is far from his friends and family just lonely and more than that struggling to find his place in a society that does not care for blacks, especially high achieving males (what a world we live in).  It is an incredibly difficult situation to be in I cannot even attempt to empathize so I just reminded him of what he is there for. What his focus should be on and so much more, I gave it everything I had. Somehow I couldn't stop thinking about our conversations even days later.

All I could keep thinking was wow. He is at a highlight in his life, undeniably. One that many people would be so fortunate to have and he couldn't focus on that. Here I am in what I can honestly define as a presumed low point in my life and he was reaching out to me to help. I couldn't make sense of it. Just kept thinking if that was me I would do this and that....silly me.

It took me a while to recognize something. He is at a high point in his life based on standards of the material world. MBA program, Europe, high achieving blah blah blah. I was looking at the fact that he had all these very worldly things but yet he seemed so incredibly unhappy. I am at a point where I am uncertain of many things, my career, my finances, my health etc and yet I can say I am ok. So why the disconnect? People.

I don't say this to brag don't get me wrong, rather to make it known that it is the consistent presence, kindness, and love of so many of my friends and family near and especially far that keeps me afloat. I believe and trust in God fully, no one will ever tell me otherwise. I believe he puts certain people in your life to show you his love and presence and most days after everyone goes home and I am laying in bed reading or thinking I always go back to that. One clear way God showers me in his love is through the people in my life. My home has become the hangout spot, everyone comes over here often we have lots of dinner or breakfast parties. Shout out to my sunshine of a mother who deals with the hungriest of them :)  But really besides the food, it has become this way because its filled with the understanding that we are each others keepers and family. I wish I could more eloquently share how important that has been for me. I can honestly tell you not a day has gone by where I feel alone or scared.

Love is deep and intense and I wont try to define it best I can do for you is to push you to
read up on 1st Corinthians 13 to get an exhaustive definition of it. But lately what I have seen is that love is shown by being present. For my friend he is in this definitive moment of his life, that will undoubtedly shape his future and his families. But what he is missing the presence of positive people. Those who build him and pour out good things to him out of love. As a result this high time has turned into a low. I just want to be present for him and be his family even thousands of miles away. I've heard to whom much is given, much is expected so I think I have to step up.

I should say a big HUGE thank you to everyone who has been with me. In texts/calls/deliveries/email/visits all of it. You have been my daily gifts from up above.

-HK



No comments:

Post a Comment