Monday, September 2, 2013

Impatient Patient.

My last post was about gaining perspective. Thats what the whole weeklong hospital process was for me. I am really grateful for that time, I couldn't help but think what if this happened in Ethiopia or Ghana or something. As much as I prefer living and working in Africa I can't deny the fact that the standard of care here is unmatched and it is probably what has kept me so well thus far.

I wish I could share more about my time at the hospital but I was literally so dazed and lethargic due to my painkillers it was hard to make sense of things. I wish there was video footage of my inability to stay awake during conversations. That stuff was quality.

Anyways, being home I have consciously decided to ease off the meds. A little pain really never hurt anyone, in fact it makes you stronger. It is really awesome to watch and feel your body get a bit stronger every day. The human body is fascinating, I am learning so much about how to help myself heal. Mind, body and soul is really true guys!!! Keep positive, try to eat healthy and always feed my soul what will help it grow. That requires me being selective of certain people, conversations, thoughts, meals, etc. All goes back to my daily choices. I always remember a preaching I heard a while back feed what you want to grow and starve what you want to die. This line is powerful. Simmer on it for a second.

So best advice doctors have given me. Be patient. Let your body rest and heal. BOY has this been my weakness. I am a demanding person by nature, I demand a lot out of myself and those around me. Ask anyone who has ever had to work with me, at times this can be such a vice in my life. As I watch my body get stronger daily and I can lift my leg and move around a bit easier it has me feeling a lot bolder. Demanding much more of my body than I should. This boldness comes from only what I can see on the outside. Rather superficial. It is actually very ignorant of me (sadly I know it). My doctors told me 6 weeks before I can move because they actually have a deep understand and can see what is going on inside my body.

If it were up to me I swear I would be hoping around on a crutch trying to make it work. I will respect what my doctors require, mostly because my mom wouldn't even give ears to me attempting to walk. But I suppose what I am struggling with is patience because I am so keen on short term progress. I am a product of an environment that does not believe in slow and steady, we are so short, impatient, hard hitting and unsustainable. Me being patient with my body is actually counterintuitive. At this point I have no choice, so I do it. I am learning each day though, patience is not easy but it lies in the hope that something far greater is waiting a distance away. That excites me.

I swear I feel like i'm going to be flying at the end of this!

-HK 

No comments:

Post a Comment